Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:22:40AM -0400, Ligesh wrote:
>  How do we do the same on a windows VM? On a remote hosting setup, it is
> always preferable to assign static ips to the virtual machines. DHCP is
> cumbersome method to manage ip addresses.

  Sorry I must have missed the reference to Windows.

  I imagine you could write a small script in VBScrip/JScript and
 place it in the startup directory - or add a registry key to make it
 auto-run once.

  It has been a few years since I had to do that kind of thing on
 Windows, but I think the principle is sound.  Bootup the machine once
 with the script to do the magic, then reboot it afterwards.

  I guess you'd need to organise yourself, so for example, you could
 have a range of IPs to be tested and do something like this:

    base=192.168.1.100

    while( 1 )
    {
        if ( ping( $base ) )
        {
           # Address is "live"
           base += 1;  (Note you can't do that really!)
        }
        else
        {
           # Found an unallocated IP
           setupIP here
           reboot
        }
    }

  I'd recommend you look at AutoIT for your scripting language if you've
 not got a personal preference.  Very nice to use, and free.  (Albeit
 not "free".)

Steve