Re: [Xen-users] hardware virtualization AMD...

Yasir Assam <list1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/17/2006 08:15:58 PM:

> I also had problems using a physical partition as a VBD for the HVM
> guest. I had to use a file-backed VBD which works fine.

I have not had any problem using a block device as a VBD for an HVM guest,
although I have seen others on the list report similar problems.  Granted,
my block devices are LVM volumes instead of partitions or disks (disk =
['phy:/dev/virt-blkdev-backend/hvm1,ioemu:hda,w']), but I don't see how
that would make a difference, since a block device is a block device.

My apologies if this is obvious an you tried it already, but my initial
thought is to make sure that the block device you use looks like a bootable
disk with a boot loader, partition tables, and a partition with a file
system.  PV guests only require a block device or file image that contains
a file system.  HVM guests require a block device or file image that looks
like a bootable disk.  It's easiest to just use a disk on which you
installed an OS, for example, disk = ['phy:/dev/sdb,ioemu:hda,w']  If you
are going to use a partition, the partition must contain a boot loader,
partition tables, etc.

In our test setup, the scripts create a bootable LVM volume by running
fdisk to create a partition on the volume, installing grub on the volume,
and then copying a root file system to the partition on the volume.

Steve D.