Re: [Xen-users] Installing Fedora 5 as the guest domain...

Petersson, Mats wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Arsen Hayrapetyan
Sent: 02 August 2006 14:15
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Installing Fedora 5 as the guest domain...

Hello,

I have the RHEL4.1 Linux as dom0 and want to intstall
Fedora 5 Core Linux as domU...
I have created the ext3 filesystem in vm1disk file:

dd if=/dev/zero  of=vm1disk bs=1k seek=16384k count=1
mkfs -t ext3 vm1disk

Then I created a logical volume:

mount -o loop vm1disk /mnt
losetup /dev/loop0 vm1disk
pvcreate /dev/loop0
vgcreate vg /dev/loop0
lvcreate -L14G -n compnode vg
lvcreate -L1G -n compswap vg

Now I want to install Fedora 5 Core Linux as the guest domain
on that volume.
Can anyone point me to the documentation of how can I do that?

The easiest way (that I know of) is to use the CDROM/DVD image(s) to
install the OS directly into the device, using a CD-boot as the way to
tell the HVM domain what to do... Of course, this doesn't work if you
don't have VT/SVM  - in that case you're probably best off creating a
separate partition and if you must have a file-base installation, create
a file by using dd from the partition to the file...
Here's a HVM congiguration to boot CDROM I posted earlier:
import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024
name = "CDROM-boot"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/root/disk.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
cdrom='/root/isoguest.iso'
boot='d'
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncviewer=1
serial='pty'
ne2000=0

An alternative, if you're not using VT/SVM, is to follow these instructions:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstart

I found it necessary to revise the yum.conf file.

--
John R. Shannon, CISSP
Chief Scientist