RE: [Xen-users] Help Please! 64bit Xen/CentOS_64 on quad-core Opteron 12gig RAM

  • To: "Stephen Yum" <steveyum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:04:25 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 07:05:31 -0700

That's probably more because the 32-bit kernel is more optimised to run
on a small system (very few people with a small memory machine are
likely to have a 64-bit processor, so the "wasting memory" problems
aren't being so apparent). Also page-tables take up more space in
64-bit, a little bit more than twice the amount of space needed for
32-bit-non-PAE (twice the memory is accounted as PAE-mode which uses
64-bit page-table entries, vs. non-PAE-mode pagetable entries that use
32-bit entries. On top of thise, there is the fact that the page-table
is now 4-level, which means that there is more table to deal with, but
that's a relatively small amount - 4KB for every 512 x 2MB -> 1GB of
memory, so 12 x 4 -> 48KB for your entire 12GB of RAM [actually, with
multiple page-tables, it may be a few times it, but then every one of
those page-tables wouldn't have entries for all the memory, so although
it's hard to give an exact number, it's unlikely to be MUCH more than
4KB per gigabyte overall).

> In x86_64 based Xen, is the minimum memory for domains 128MB?

It's possibly somewhat lower. As discussed above, page tables takes 2x+
amount of space, but many other things may only be marginally larger
(data structures that contain a few pointers and many other things may
not grow more than a few percent).

But if you have 12GB, I'm sure that 64MB +/- on the Dom0 isn't going to
matter. DomU will most likely require less space, as it's got fewer
drivers. How much less is harder to say - I haven't experimented to find
out... Also depends on whether you use the same or a different kernel in
DomU of course - if you use the same kernel, the difference is modules
that will not get loaded in DomU.

> And just out of curiosity, is there a big difference between Fedora
> 64bit vs. CentOS 64bit? Not much I would think.

I would think so too. The main difference would be that Fedora comes
with a pre-built "know to work" Xen binary, so you don't need to build
your own...

--
Mats