RE: [Xen-users] Differences in performance between file and LVMbased images

Hi Alex,

May I also express my thanks for these benchmarks, but some are unlikely to
be truly representative of the relative disk performances.

> > -- Setup --
> > Hardware: 2x 3GHz Intel Woodcrest (dual core), Intel S5000PAL, 1x SATA
> > Western Digital WD1600YD-01N 160GB, 8GB RAM (dom0 using 2G)

According to WD's site, your HDD maximum _sustained_ read or write
performance is 61MB/s.  You may get more if you hit caches on read or write,
but if you get numbers bigger than 61MB/s on data that is not expected to be
in the cache (e.g. a properly constructed disk benchmark) then I would be
suspicious (unless you are deliberately trying to test the disk caching
performance).

<snip>

> > -- Results --
> > The first three entries (* control) are the results for the benchmark
> > from dom0, so they give an idea of expected "native"
> > performance (Part.
> > control) and the performance of using LVM or loopback
> > devices. The last
> > two entries are the results as seen from within the domU.
> >
> > "Device"          Write        Rewrite         Read           Reread
> > dom0 Part.    32.80 MB/s    35.92 MB/s    2010.32 MB/s    2026.11 MB/s
> > dom0 LVM      43.42 MB/s    51.64 MB/s    2008.92 MB/s    2039.40 MB/s
> > dom0 File     55.25 MB/s    65.20 MB/s    2059.91 MB/s    2052.45 MB/s
> > domU Part.    31.29 MB/s    34.85 MB/s    2676.16 MB/s    2751.57 MB/s
> > domU LVM      40.97 MB/s    47.65 MB/s    2645.21 MB/s    2716.70 MB/s
> > domU File    241.24 MB/s    43.58 MB/s    2603.91 MB/s    2684.58 MB/s

The domU file write at 241.24 MB/s looks more than slightly suspicious since
your disk can only do 61MB/s.  I suspect that the writes are being cached in
the dom0 (because you have lots of RAM) and distorting the true disk access
speeds.  You have 2GB of ram in Dom0 and your test is only 900MB, so it is
possible that the writes are being completely cached in the Dom0.  The DomU
thinks the write is complete, but all that has happened is the data has
moved to the Dom0 cache.

The read numbers are also way-off as they are at least 30x the disk speed.

It is interesting, however, that the read and re-read numbers, which are
must be coming from cache somewhere rather than from disk, show that
partition, LVM and file are very comparable.

> > "Device"       Random read    Random write
> > dom0 Part.    2013.73 MB/s      26.73 MB/s
> > dom0 LVM      2011.68 MB/s      32.90 MB/s
> > dom0 File     2049.71 MB/s     192.97 MB/s

The domU file random write at 192.97 MB/s also looks wrong, for the same
reasons as above.

> > domU Part.    2723.65 MB/s      25.65 MB/s
> > domU LVM      2686.48 MB/s      30.69 MB/s
> > domU File     2662.49 MB/s      51.13 MB/s
> >
> > According to these numbers, file-based filesystems are generally the
> > fastest of the three alternatives. I'm having a hard time
> > understanding
> > how this can possibly be true, so I'll let the more knowledgeable
> > members of the mailing list enlighten us. My guess is that the extra
> > layers (LVM/loopback drivers/Xen) are caching stuff and
> > ignoring IOZone
> > when it tries to write synchronously. Regardless, it seems like
> > file-based filesystems are the way to go. Too bad, I prefer LVMs...
>
> Yes, you'll probably get file-caching on Dom0 when using file-based
> setup, which doesn't happen on other setups.

Absolutely.  Hence the over-high readings for file transfers.

> The following would be interesting to also test:
> 1. Test with noticably larger test-area (say 10GB or so).

You need to run with test files that are at least 5x the available cache
memory before you can start to trust the results.  Given that you have 2GB
of memory on Dom0, 10GB would be the smallest test that makes sense.

I would be very interested to see the results from such a test.

As one final question, what is the scheduling configuration for Dom0 and
DomU with these tests?  Have you tried different configurations
(period/slice) for the DomU tests to see if it makes any difference?

Best regards,

Roger