Re: [Xen-users] Can't login with Xen and Gentoo

Hello Hans,

Thanks for the help-you got me started in the right direction.  As it
turns out for some reason unknown to me I apparently installed a perl
package called Authen-PAM.  I'm not sure why I had it but after
uninstalling it everything is back to normal.

Regards,
John

Hans de Hartog <dehartog@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/16/2006 08:23:00 AM:

> Hi John,
>
> I struggled with that myself some time ago. To use the console (as well
> with grub, xen, and the kernel) I made the following setup in grub.conf:
>
> default 0
> timeout 30
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal serial
>
> title   Xen 3.0.2 + Linux 2.6.16.28
> root    (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/xen.gz com1=9600,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1 dom0_mem=70M
> module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.28-xen0 root=/dev/hda3 console=ttyS0,9600
>
> title   Linux 2.6.17.6
> root    (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/linux-2.6.17.6 root=/dev/hda3 console=ttyS0,9600
>
> Further more, make sure your console (ttyS0, tty0 or so) are
> mentioned in /etc/securetty. You can find out your console
> when you boot your standard kernel; login on the console and
> give the tty command.
> And there used to be a problem some time ago when the packages
> shadow and pam-login were blocking each other. You had to unmerge
> one of them and (not log out!) emerge the other.
> And finally, make sure you run (a)getty on the console (specify
> in /etc/inittab).
> Note: your console can be tty0 when running your standard kernel
> and ttyS0 when running dom0.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Hans.
>
> John Little wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed Xen 3.0.2 using Gentoo portage.  The kernel boots ok to
the
> > console but when I try to login either as root or myself it won't
> > authenticate.
> >
> > I read some posts that mentioned not having a populated /dev directory
> > but this is in place.  It also contains a full range of tty* and has
> > console in it.
> >
> > I'm at a loss for what to look for.  The console login is ok when
> > booting to the standard kernel.  Can anyone point me in the right
> > direction of what I should be checking/doing differently?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail and the files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
use of addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this e-mail in error and that any
use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and
deleting it from your computer.