Re: [Xen-users] 32bit DomU on 64-bit Xen

Petersson, Mats wrote the following on 24.10.2006 17:46 :
-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lionel Bouton
Sent: 24 October 2006 16:14
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] 32bit DomuU on 64-bit Xen

Hi,

from what I could find digging around, it is ok to run a 32-bit DomU with a 64bit Xen/Dom0 as long as you use linux32 to avoid the package utilities from trying to install 64 bit packages in the DomUs.

Ehm, no you CAN NOT run 32-bit DomU on a 64-bit Xen/Dom0, because all
kernel modes must be the same (32-bit no PAE, 32-bit PAE or 64-bit).

What I thought was possible is to start the 32-bit DomU with a 64-bit kernel and use a custom initrd to call linux32 before /sbin/init -> the whole DomU could still be 32-bit, but the kernel would be 64-bit. I'm wondering if there could be problems with some userland system utilities like iptables though.

Can't this work?

Lionel