[Xen-users] No network access from dom0 and cannot login...

Hi all,

Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong list or the format of my mail is incorrect. If I screwed up, please let me know.

I'm a new user to xen and I'd say a moderately skilled *nix user. The machine I'm installing xen on is as follows;

Dell Precision 490
Red Hat Enterprise Edition 4 (Configured for my uni network, but I have root access (sudo).)
Dual Core Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2Ghz
2Gb RAM.
VT enabled in the BIOS.

Anything else you need to know about the hardware spec, then please let me know.

I originally installed xen from the RPM's available on xensource, however the system would not boot and hung on PCI: Using MMCONFIG. I eventually decided to install from source.

Source install worked fine and I have successfully got the system to boot. During the boot process the system hangs for around 1 - 2 minutes during the stage where xend is loaded. During the boot process I can happily ping the machine from elsewhere on the network, however as soon as xend begins to load the system stops responding to pings.

Once the system has booted I am unable to login, this I assumed was because I had no network access - required for authentication here. I also cannot logon locally with a test account I created. So at this point the system is unpingable and unusable as I cannot login.

If I boot off of the stock kernel everything begins to work fine again - I can login normally and network access is fine. I've trawled google and the mailing list for the better part of ten hours with little luck, I fear I cannot properly craft a search query to give me the answers I need.

One point to note that may be insignificant is that there was no brctl in /sbin/ when I compiled, it is located in /usr/sbin/ - after compiling I placed a symlink in /sbin/ - If this is the problem does anyone know how I'd fix it?

Any and all help would be appreciated as my eyes hurt somewhat and I seem to have forgotten how to spell xen :S

Many thanks,

Ryan.