Re: [Xen-users] Why creating DomU failed (seems it is due to LVM)

TMC wrote:
On 11/12/06, Steven Dugway <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TMC wrote:
> can you please post your config here?
>
> I suspect that your trying to start LVM configuration from Dom0 in
> DomU...
>
> There are two ways to do things.
>
> a) put all disk in Dom0 under LVM and manage disk for all DomU
> instances that way..
That is how I do it and then export the partitions for each domU, works
fine with old FC5 packages.
Here is an config file:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6xen"
#kernel = "/boot/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5xenU"
memory = 250
name = "spooner"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6xen.img"
vif = [ '' ]
disk=['phy:/dev/VolGroup00/spooner,sda1,w','phy:/dev/VolGroup00/spoonerHS,sda4,w','phy:/dev/VolGroup00/swap1,sda2,w','file:/img/tmpfiles,sda3,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Ok.

What I suspect is happening is that you have  copied a whole parent
server instance (with a running /etc and such like) instead of doing a
clean install to your patritions with kickstart, jump-start or
debootstrap.

This is not working.

There is some mystery about the initrd setup.
I did everything I could test on my own and from suggestions on this list, in vain.

It is hard to make timely decisions with the current state of affairs with Xen. I spent 4 months since the first broken package in FC5 in september to try to get my Centos domU running and nothing works, which means I am stuck with old version of Xen. I had hope the FC6 version would fix it but no. The centos no better. Does anybody know a GNU linux distro that is serious about supporting Xen?

I did figure out the howtos of mkinird and the ramdisk concepts, the problem is I do not know what to put/modify inside to make it work.
This is very frustrating.

Thanks anyway.

This means that your LVM subsystem is looking in /etc, finds configs
and goesa looking for disks to  manage and fails, bacuse it must. you
are accessing abstracted devices not raw devices in your DomU.

I think you need to blow away (or at least rename) all LVM configs in
/etc/ of  your DomU. They are not needed.

Also you need to change:
your networking (unless you DHCP)
hostname
edit the fstab to refer to /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3 and
/dev/sda4  as required instead of  lables or /dev/VolGroup** stuff.

Also Please boot the XenU specific kernel, if your packages provide
it. Its safer.

Hope this helps

Tomasz