Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager won't start

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:37:51PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On 2/2/07, Krysan, Susan <KRYSANS@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I am using SLES10 SP1 Beta2 and cannot run virt-manager.  First, I receive
> >bunch of messages like this one:
> >[....]
>
> This is the Xen-Users list, not the virt-manager support list :)

If anyone has virt-manager related question, please feel free to join the
public 'et-mgmt-tools@xxxxxxxxxx' mailing list where all the virt-related
management tools projects we're involved in live.

This is also linked off the website http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com

> I don't say that for sending you away, but you will get much better
> help asking a specific list. As far as I know, virt-manager is a quite
> fedora-specific tool, so it can become hard to get it running on other
> distributions. I think there are people working on ports for Debian,
> but I don't thinlk you can just take the rpm, install it on SuSE, and
> expect it wo be working.

The only Fedora specific bit in virt-manager is the bit of the 'create
new vm' wizard for para-virt guests, in that it expects to fetch the
file 'images/xen/vmlinuz' off the HTTP site for the distro - other
distros don't lay stuff out in the same way so you won't be able to
install non-Fedora paravirt guests. Full virt guests should 'just work',
and it should still run on any Dom0 OS. I know people have used it on
both Debian and Solaris without too much trouble. I'm adding support for
installing SuSE paravirt guests, and think I might have figured out how
to do Debian too.

> The very least you need is not only install virt-manager, but also
> libvirt - do you have this?

Yep, wrt to the error message in the original thread, it probably means that
XenD is not listening on the expected socket. Make sure you have

 (xend-unix-server yes)'

In the /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp file.  As a good sanity check for correct
XenD config, you can run 'virsh list' from the command line. If that works,
then virt-manager should also work. Also, virt-manager has a log file in
$HOME/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log which may have more detailed diagnostics.

Regards,
Dan.