[Xen-users] please explain this xen error message to me (newbie here)

"an error has occured. no valid devices were found on which to create a file
system"

this message is what I get installing a copy of fedroa6 on fedora6 using
xen.  now the instructions in fedora said either specify a file or
partition. I made sure the file I created (called feddy6_xen) in my
root/xenmachines directory had plenty of space..20gb left on that
partition...so shouldn't it just install into the new file? and if I can't
install into a file but have to create a new partition first why does the
virt-manager in fedora ask me to create a file OR use a partition? thanks in
advance...btw I do see the file 6.8GB sitting there in my xenmachines
directory...so I can assume that the space has at least been allocated and
the virt-manager shows 500mb (half of my total memory) being used by the
virtual machine so I can only assume that the kernel is in fact up and
running in memory...so why this error message...thanks in advance for any
suggestions/thoughts.