Re: [Xen-users] xen: when devices go away...

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I've been experimenting with iscsi and xen and have found an interesting
>> behavior.
>>
>> I'd reasoned that using iscsi volumes as devices in a software RAID1
>> configuration would be a Good Idea since when one of the iscsi servers
>> goes away the filesystem is stable.
>
> Note todays thread "Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?" ....

Ok I've been through that entire thread and it didn't answer the
question of what is happening to XEN when the device it presents to the
domU as a vbd vanishes.

This applies just as much to iscsi as to local disk; if I allocate a
whole drive to a domU via XEN say something like:

disk = [ 'phy:hdc,hda,w',
        'phy:hde,hdc,w' ]

what happens when hdc in dom0 dies horribly?

Lets leave the issue of whats best practice WRT RAID for now and assume
that the domU has hda and hdc as components of a RAID1 array so that, in
principle, if the dom0 hdc fails everything *should* be ok; can XEN be
expected to be ok with this?