Re: [Xen-users] Newbie trying to understand how to get Xen working

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 15:02 -0500, Michael Wineland wrote:
> First off I apologize for the stupidity of my questions here, I am a
> linux newbie and i've been reading forums till my head hurts and I just
> dont get it.

It's kinda difficult to explain most things if our knowledge of Linux in
general is lacking as most people don't want to have to give a Linux 101
course in this ML.  I would probably try to get accustomed to Linux in
general before taking on something like Xen.  Xen is a bit of an
"advanced" topic and right now I'm not sure if there are any/many
point-n-click solutions for it.

> I am trying to get Xen working with ubuntu server 6.10 64bit, on a dual
> dualcore xeon system with 4gb ram. I got it successfully installed, so
> sudo xm list shows Domain-0. But i dont understand how i am supposed to
> install the other OS's (DomU??) All the guides i have found talk about
> creating an image file, bootstrapping from a link yada yada,

They are probably referring to a paravirtualized (PV) domU.  PV domains
use a patched version of the vanilla kernel that comes with most (Linux)
distributions, so a typical install-from-cd is not possible.  If you are
referring to full virtualization then it is possible *if* your hardware
supports it.

jailtime.org does have some pre-made images from some of the major Linux
distributions.  You can install onto hard drive partitions.  There is
documentation that explains this, but you do need to understand a little
Linux beforehand.  I'm sorry, but explaining from step 0 will simply
take ages (much longer than it took me to compose this email).

-m