Re: [Xen-users] Creation of additional image within a domU

> John, sorry I forgot to mention something to you. If you do slice up a
> virtual block device into partitions, you will need to use one of the
> quemu tools known as 'lomount' to mount them from dom-0.

This is also shipped with the Xen source distribution because it's so useful.

> You should probably get familiar with it before putting anything serious
> on the drive.

You can possibly also xm block-attach the VBD into dom0 and then access it.
*however* I'm not sure this is guaranteed to be safe when using blktap.  It
might be OK using the loop device based file-VBDs, but I'm not 100%.

> I have also never attempted to fsck a sliced lv or file backed vbd image
> from dom-0, I'm not quite sure how you would go about doing that if
> necessary.

The kpartx tools may be useful here, they create device maps from partition
tables.

Otherwise, you can read out the partition tables using (s)disk, then create
device maps (or bind /dev/loop devices) yourself to correspond to the
partitions you're interested in.

So many options :-)  Sorry if it's a bit confusing!

Cheers,
Mark

> Best,
> --Tim
>
> On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 11:46 +0000, john maclean wrote:
> > Chaps,
> >
> > Perhaps this question is a little basic for this list but I'm not
> > really sure of the simplest method or best tool for the job.
> >
> > I've created some images with `dd=/dev/zero ....` and I'm using them
> > for the domUs now. Some of them have been running for a few months
> > with no probs. Trouble is that I'd like to create a separate partition
> > within the domU. Options:-
> > 1 - use fdisk? Not sure if that's possible for a file-based image.
> > Can't run it within the domU
> > 2 - run dd to create another partiton? Not sure how that would work
> > 3 - create the new image from scratch and create the new partition as
> > required and tell /etc/fstab about it.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!