RE: [Xen-users] Problem creating domU:"Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts notworking."

Dear Curtis,

First of all, thanks for your answer!

>> My name is Fermín Galán. I have started recently to use Xen (so please
>> forgive me in advance if I'm too "newbie" :) and I'm facing my first
>> problems...
>>
>> I'm trying to create a domU, but I'm getting an error:
>>
>> tornado:~# xm create test.cfg -c
>> Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
>> Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
>> working.
>
> As a test try commenting out the vif= line in your config file.

Two new facts:

1. I've done what you said (commenting out the vif= line), but the result is
the same :(

2. Sometimes, I get a slightly different error message than the one I
reported originally ("Backend device not found" instead of "Hotplug scripts
not working").

tornado:~# xm create test.cfg -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

The error message type doesn't seem related with the vif= line. In other
words, I've get both of them either commenting or not commenting the vif=
line, although "Backend device not found" seems to be less frequent (see
typescript of the test at the end of the mail).

What is the exact meaning of each one of this error messages? What is the
device number 2049?

Any new piece of information/test ideas is very welcome...

Thanks again!

Best regards,

--------------------
Fermín Galán Márquez
CTTC - Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia, Av. del Canal Olímpic s/n, 08860
Castelldefels, Spain
Room 1.02
Tel : +34 93 645 29 12
Fax : +34 93 645 29 01
Email address: fermin dot galan at cttc dot es

PD. Detail of the test follows:

tornado:~# cat /etc/xen/test.cfg  | grep vif
tornado:~# xm create test.cfg -c ; xm create test.cfg -c ; xm create
test.cfg -c ; xm create test.cfg -c ; xm create test.cfg -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.
tornado:~# vi /etc/xen/test.cfg
tornado:~# cat /etc/xen/test.cfg  | grep vif
#vif  = [ 'mac=00:0C:29:11:22:33, ip=192.168.247.140' ]