Re: [Xen-users] Export /dev/lp0 as VBD?

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Take a look at the output of:
>
> cat /proc/ioports | grep parport
>
> Do you get any results?  The idea is that this should give you the ioport
> range used by the parallel port(s).  In principle you can make sure there
> aren't any parallel port drivers in dom0, and just add this to the domain
> config file in the form:
>
> ioports = [ "start-end" ]
>
> Then try to load your parallel port driver in the domU...

No such luck so far. First I created a fresh domU to test in. I found
the ioports range and added it to the domU's configuration:

ioports = [ '0378-037a' ]

Then I booted the domU for the first time and let it do a Debian base
install (tasksel --new-install). Next I installed a bunch of printer
packages:

- lpr
- printconf

trying to print a file with "lp /some/file" gives:

lp: Error - no default destination available.

I looked in /dev and there's no /dev/lp0. A "modprobe lp" didn't do
anything. I did see a /dev/printer but I think that's only there because
lpd is running. I do seem to have a working parallel driver. When I do
"lsmod" I can see:

Module                  Size  Used by
ppdev                   9444  0
parport_pc             33092  1
lp                     11780  0
parport                34120  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
ipv6                  229088  12
8250                   28164  0
serial_core            20288  1 8250
ext3                  120072  1
jbd                    53224  1 ext3
mbcache                 9124  1 ext3
dm_mirror              20048  0
dm_snapshot            16320  0
dm_mod                 51000  2 dm_mirror,dm_snapshot
processor              29608  0

So, what now? Thanks in advance,

PS: If this ioports forwarding doesn't work out then I have one other
solution besides running dom0 as a print server. I was reading over the
PCI specs yesterday and apparently you can use PCI cards in PCI-X slots
as long as the cards conform to PCI 2.1 or higher. I have plenty of
PCI-X slots left. My soundcard is PCI 2.1 so that could go into a PCI-X
slot, freeing the PCI one for a cheap $10 parallel port PCI card.

--
Sander Marechal