Re: [Xen-users] Building a xen Dom0 kernel for a very, very recent kernel branch

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:48:38PM -0400, Marlier, Ian wrote:
> Hey, all,
>
> This is mostly a request for a pointer to docs, I guess, since I haven't
> had much luck finding any on my own that have been helpful...
>
> I'm working on configuring a new machine to run Xen, but have found
> myself needing to use the 2.6.21 kernel tree because of some bugfixes
> that are only available there (as of 2.6.21-rc3).
>
> But, I'm having some trouble figuring out how to build my own xenified
> kernel; I downloaded the 3.0.4 source release, and that seems quite
> insistent that I should be using the 2.6.16 kernel...
>
> Can anyone point me to docs that might have more detail about how to
> build a xen kernel for a very recent kernel branch?

Not a chance unless you are a very hardcore kernel hacker :-) The Xen code is
very intrusive into the heart of the kernel, so updating it to newer kernel
versions is non-trivial. For Fedora we have a guy who works *fulltime*
just doing forward ports of Xen to newer upstream kernel trees & even then
we're typically 4-6 weeks behind upstream releases.

> (I'm building on Fedora Core 6 as my base OS, but I imagine that
> instructions for any distro will work fine...)

We just released a 2.6.20 + Xen 3.0.3 based kernel to FC6 updates-testing
if that's any use:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/6/

Work is underway to port it to 2.6.21 as well, but I can't make any promises
for when that'll be released.

Meanwhile F7 is on 2.6.20 + 3.0.4, but this is not as stable as the FC6 3.0.3
based Xen tree is yet. By the time it is released in a couple of months F7
will probably be on 3.0.4 + 2.6.21, although if 3.0.5 comes out in the next
week or so we might skip 3.0.4 and go straight to 3.0.5 for F7.

Regards,
Dan.