Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs

  • To: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Rene Purcell" <rene.purcell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 15:14:39 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 07 May 2007 12:13:15 -0700

did you create partition in your LV ? I mean you added something like "phy:/dev/main/xen_DomU_logs,hda,w" when you've installed your distribution did you create a partition hda1 in the installation process or did you just copy some data into hda ?

what's the distro you've installed ?

On 5/6/07, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia < nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>
>>> You can always create LVs in dom0 and export them as sda1/2/3/... to
>>> domU. You have to reboot domU to resize anyway. That way you can then
>>> snapshot them in dom0, mount the snapshot and run your backup.
>>>

>> I do that now, but I can't do a raw install that way using
>> virt-install or virt-manager, so doing that virst install is a pain in
>> the neck to get a working image. The jailtime.org images are good, but
>> not so useful for non-RPM based OS's.
>>

> In debian there is xen-create-image that you can tell a lvm VG and it
> creates its own root and swap volumes there and installs debian. After
> that you just have to add additional volumes and move data as needed.
>
> Neat tool.

That's precisely what virt-manager and virt-install do. This does not
solve my difficulty of accessing the contents of the LVM partitions from
Dom0 to do backkup.

René Jr Purcell
Chargé de projet, sécurité et sytèmes
Techno Centre Logiciels Libres, http://www.tc2l.ca/