Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 SEGV when running old binaries in FC1

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:05:21PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 June 2007, Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> > I've just built Xen 3.1 x86 32 bit with PAE from source.
> >
> > It runs most of my domUs just fine, windows etc, but it doesn't run a
> > Fedora Core 1 image.  It hangs at 100% cpu usage just after it frees
> > kernel memory.
> >
> > If I mount the FC1 image on dom0 and chroot into it I get
> >
> >   # chroot . /bin/bash
> >   Segmentation fault
> >
> > I can chroot into it using ash.static indicating it is something to do
> > with shared libraries.  I suspect something to do with the mapping of
> > linux-gate.so.1 which the FC1 binaries need.
> >
> > I can run this domain just fine off Xen 3.0.4.
>
> FC1 did have some crazy stuff going on (e.g. a 2.4 kernel with NPTL), so I
> guess it's possible HVM mode isn't handling that right for some reason.

It is a paravirt domain not HVM...

> Is the Xen version the only thing you've changed between the two installs?
> If
> so I guess it could be a regression that'll need bugfixing.

I changed the xen hypervisor and the dom0 and domU kernels.  The I see
the same SEGV with the dom0 and domU kernels.

Everything else remained the same.

I've put a small ext2 filing system here which demonstrates the problem

  http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/fedora_demo.gz

If mount it and attempt to chroot into it under Xen 3.1 then I get a
SEGV.  Chrooting into it from Xen 3.0.3 , Xen 3.0.4 and Debian testing
works fine.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick