Re: [Xen-users] FIXED!!! amd64 system only seeing 3.5gb instead of 4gb of memory

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 11:35:56AM +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:
Hello,

> > The fix makes me think that the bug is a bit heisenbug-ish... but it
> > works for me.
>
> Yes, it looks like a "compiler issue" that is fixed by forcing the
> compiler to not optimize the variable by using volatile - not the ideal
> solution, but I guess fixing the compiler may be even more difficult.
> [Not knowing what the code looks like - but I suppose the "cont"
> variable isn't updated by an interrupt or external hardware!]

I thought the same, but one grub stage2 file behaves differently on
two motherboards. It fails to detect[1] e820 memory map on my computer,
but copied to friend's one works perfectly. I think if it's
compiler bug[2] that copy shouldn't work on both computers.

Regerds,
Kupson
[1] displaymem command doesn't work
[2] optimize loop or function call to nothing or something similar