RE: [Xen-users] Uname shows 64bits rather than 32 : yum problem. 32 bits on dom0 64 bits is it possible ?

It depends on the type of guest. If you have a para-virtual kernel, then the
kernel and the hypervisor must match exactly (and since Dom0 is a kernel on top
of the hypervisor, it must be 64-bit when the hypervisor is 64-bit).

HVM (fully-virtual) guests can be "anything smaller than or equal to the
hypervisor", so on a 64-bit hypervisor, you can run any type of kernel up to
64-bit.

> They said that it is possible only with xen 3.1 !
Correct in as much as 3.1 adds the ability to run a 32-bit PAE para-virtual
kernel on Xen 64-bit hypervisor (and that includes that you could have Dom0
32-bit if you want, and I think you can even use 32-bit Dom0 and 64-bit DomU if
you should want that).

> Others tell it is !

Well, others may be wrong, depending on which of the above definitions they
mean are able to run on 3.0.3 - I'm a Xen Developer, and I've seen the patches
for the "32-on-64" go into 3.1. There's quite a lot of work added to support
this, and it would have been noticable if it went into 3.0.3 instead of 3.1.

As to using "linux32 yum" to install a para-virtual guest, it probably will end
up with something that doesn't run (unless you also have Xen 3.1 at least).

--
Mats