Re: [Xen-users] Re: Is Anybody Running Xen in Production Environment

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mike Peters <mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:22:55 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:35:32 -0700

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:18:58 +0100
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 08:14:44AM -0700, Matias wrote:
> >
> >> Is anybody running Xen in a production environment?
> >>

> > Yep, responsible for serving about 80 million requests per day
> >
> Me, too. I've been using it for development systems, QA environments,
> and some production services. The instabilities have been due to
> ongoing software development, now that the "install a modified glibc"
> requirements seem to have vanished with the tweaks of the latest
> kernels under RHEL and CentOS.

Just adding to the list of happy customers. I run about 70-80
SUSE domains on openSUSE 10.2, similarly hosting various development, QA
testing, demonstration and both critical and non-critical production
servers. Only problems we've had so far have been some hardware issues
totally non-Xen related and some problems with our own software, again
not Xen related.

> >> If so what is maintenance like?  Are you constantl
> >> having to keep a careful watch?  Does it crash
> >> often?  Run out of memory? OR is has it been
> >> a very blissful experience and your always confident
> >> that it's up and running.
> >>

> > I've been quite impressed -- it's never really been a hassle.
> > Nagios keeps an eye on things, and we're running heartbeat on
> > redundant machines to make sure that even if something goes pop
> > we're still covered.  Even with all that, I can't think of a
> > production failure (even non-customer-impacting) that has
> > definitely been Xen's fault.
> What are you using to configure your Nagios? I've been working with
> fruity, that seems to be a nice tool but need completion.

I have my own scripts for building and manipulating domains. These
also update the Nagios config files as necessary. I use a good old text
editor for anything beyond that. If you get the initial set up well
organised it really isn't too difficult to maintain.

--
Mike
Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com

<n3tg0d> has /usr/bin/emacs been put into /etc/shells yet?  :P