Re: [Xen-users] VNC to HVM not starting

Scott Serr wrote:
Alessandro R. wrote:
2007/9/18, Scott Serr <serrs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
My dom0 is Gentoo and I'm trying to boot an HVM off of a Ubuntu Feisty
ISO image.

I apparently have X already listening on 5900... for the "shared
desktop" feature of the modern X servers.

So I have:

vnc=1
vncdisplay=6
vncconsole=1

Can you paste all config file?

kernel="/usr/lib64/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
#device_model='/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
memory=384
name='feisty'
vif=[ 'type=ioemu,bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk=['file:/data/xen/feisty/hda.img,ioemu:hda,w','file:/data/ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']
boot='d'
vnc=1
vncdisplay=6
#vncviewer=1
#sdl=1

Note: "xm list" shows the VM name "feisty" is running... I just can't see it. Ideas of what to try are welcome.
I mis-spoke..

# xm list
Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0  3620     4     r-----     30.8
feisty                                     1   384     1     ------      0.0

feisty is not running...  not accruing time and not in a run state.

Alessandro, did you use a guide?

Oh no...  I think I found my problem.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo
*Note:* For HVM guests to be able to start, it is important that you create the appropriate tap device(s). Thus, the *sys-apps/usermode-utilities* package is required (tunctl), and *support for TUN/TAP devices* must be activated in the kernel configuration.
I'll report if this fixes it.

Thanks,
-Scott