Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.1 Intel Core Duo 2

Norbert Phillipps wrote:

here's a copy of the config that I used. It booted my dom0s and domUs with no problem but as I said I never got it to be stable. It's a pretty generic config for a SATA or SAS intel box

Actually, it turns out I need to retract my statement of non-functionality; after a good night's rest and some time away from the problem, it dawned on me that, upon checking-- none of my other Paravirt VMs also have any PCI buses... and it appears to be only my new 2.6.22 Paravirt DomU that spits out more serious looking messages.

Since yesterday afternoon (and finding the real source of my problem-- a typo in a config file) I've had networking active in my domU, and I left it at 100% CPU doing a monte carlo PI approximation for just under 6 hours.

I'm on it now, and it has been up for just over 15 hours. I just set it up as an LDAP and autofs client on my network, and am now leaving it running a 4 CPU MPI job (domU is configured only for 1 CPU) to intentionally peg it at a high load (3.85 load and climbing, according to domU's top) for hours. dom0's xm top shows that domU's CPU at 100%.

So from my standpoint, so far this 2.6.22.7 domU (on a 2.6.22.7 dom0) appears quite usable.

There are some things that I should point out may differ configuration-wise and hardware-wise from you:

 - although I have swap configured in the kernel, this domU currently
   has no active swap space.

 - the system I'm currently running this domU on is a Q6600 (Core 2 Quad
   2.40GHz). My original post reflected the system I had first attempted
   the 2.6.20 kernel on (a Core 2 Duo E6320), so I don't know if there's
   some significant difference in hardware that will cause any
   difference in behavior. I have moved my 2.6.22.7 kernel over to that
   same E6320 (and also a E6550), and will be testing it out there on
   some existing domUs before too long.

I will take a look at your included config to see if there are any differences with what I have that would give me suspicion of causing problems. Or I'll just compile yours and give it a run on a domU.

-Matthew
--
 Matthew Haas
 Visiting Instructor

  "Writing should be like breathing;
   It is one of those important things we do." -- me