Re: [Xen-users] Some questions about PCI-passthrough for HVM(Non-IOMMU)

  • To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "陈诚" <concretechen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:17:43 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:51:20 -0700

2007/10/2, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>:
> 陈诚 wrote:
> > Hello,
> >         I saw some patches about PCI-passthrough for HVM(non-IOMMU)
> > and I am interested in it. I want to assign my graphics card(nVidia
> > GeForce 7900GS) to an
> > HVM domain (Vista) in order to run 3D-intensive work(for example, 3D-games).
> > What I want to ask is that is it really possible to pass the graphics
> > card to HVM domain running Vista now? That is, have anyone ever
> > successfully
> >
> > passed a modern graphics card to a Vista HVM? Since the graphics card
> > is a kind of complicated device. Are there any technical problems with
> > the passthrough
> >
> > of a modern graphics card?
>
> I tried that once and fiddled around with it, but wasn't really
> successfull (long time ago, can't remember the exact problems).
>
> I'm not sure anymore, if I tried with a machine with one or two cards.
>
> Sure, you have to hide the PCI/AGP port from the dom0 - with using one
> card only, this means you have _no_ graphics output and you have to run
> headless.
> So, having two cards might make it easier, but I don't know if it's even
> possible at all.
>
> Henning

I think the problem is really caused by the 0-12M remapping on x86-32.
It even corrupted my ext3 file system once. The SATA controller seems
allocating DMA buffers in that area. I am examing the code and trying
to make this problem clear.
I tried to hide the graphics card on a machine with one graphics card,
but it was unseccessful, after the pciback binding(in the
/etc/rc.local, it happens after the last service started), the screen
stopped reacting and stayed there forever. I also tried to pass the
pci NIC, this time it works. But since the nativedom can't boot, I
still can't see the passthrough effect.

ConcreteChen@xxxxxxxxx