[Xen-users] kernel panic PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Zachary Richmond <zak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:23:56 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:24:42 -0700

I am attempting to run Xen 3.1.1 on a HP DL385 G2 box (opteron based system), using Gentoo. The machine will boot, and I can login and edit files etc, but as soon as I do anything more intensive such as copying files off a cdrom (making me think it is a cciss driver problem) or running make, I get the following :

        kernel panic not syncing: PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

Searching on this doesn't come up with much except the source code where this error message is written out. The comment there indicates there is an IOMMU problem, but I am not sure where to go from there. I am pretty sure it is not a hardware issue since, when booting with a non-xen kernel and the same file system, no problem. Anyone have any ideas or run into this problem before?

As a side note, I have two of these boxes which are identical, and I have successfully installed XenExpress on one of them, in the hopes of finding something there.

Thanks,

        Zak