Re: [Xen-users] kernel panic PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed

Hi Zak,

Could you please post this report, plus details of the full error message to
the xen-devel list.  My guess would be that you've got a driver which is
interacting badly with Xen's memory management.

What kernel are you using?

Cheers,
Mark

> I am attempting to run Xen 3.1.1 on a HP DL385 G2 box (opteron based
> system), using Gentoo.  The machine will boot, and I can login and edit
> files etc, but as soon as I do anything more intensive such as copying
> files off a cdrom (making me think it is a cciss driver problem) or running
> make, I get the following :
>
>       kernel panic not syncing: PCI-DMA: Random memory would be DMAed
>
> Searching on this doesn't come up with much except the source code where
> this error message is written out.  The comment there indicates there is an
> IOMMU problem, but I am not sure where to go from there. I am pretty sure
> it is not a hardware issue since, when booting with a non-xen kernel and
> the same file system, no problem.  Anyone have any ideas or run into this
> problem before?
>
> As a side note, I have two of these boxes which are identical, and I have
> successfully installed XenExpress on one of them, in the hopes of finding
> something there.
>
> Thanks,
>
>       Zak

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.