[Xen-users] Which CPU for XenExpress?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mork0075 <mork0075@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:57:18 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:51:26 -0700

Hello,

we would like to set up a machine with XenExpress (to virtualize
primarily Windows guest) and puzzle about which of the AMD Opteron cpus
we should use. We discovered that we must choose a cpu with native
virtualization support, like the AMD Pacifica technologie introduced
with the second generation of Opterons.

Be we're still undecided from which architecture/features Xen benefits
the most. There are three candidates (CPU choice is limited by costs):

(1) Opteron 2218 - 2 cores - 2.6GHz

(2) Two Opterons 2212 - together 4 cores - 2GHz

(3) wait for the Opteron Barcelona 2347 - 4 cores - 1.9GHz

We primiraly would like to use the windows guests for software
engineering tasks.

There are two oppinions in our team:

Person A assumes, that during software development more GHz are the
better choice.

Person B assumes, that from a certain level of GHz, the proportion of
'felt speed' vs 'GHz speed' isnt increasing linear and more cores are
better.

Can someone please clarify these assumptions and give us some background
from which cpu specifications a xen environment profits the most?

Our proposition is, that more peak speed is better, but not under the
con of a remarkable slower machine  when two users use their VMs at the
same time.

Thanks a lot
Marvin