Re: [Xen-users] resetting lost root password on a xen guest

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Liam Kirsher wrote:

Steven, why do you write "being sure to fsck it afterwards" ? Is that
important?

I don't have much experience with Xen but I did see an
error like you described below, and after making it a point
to fsck domU file systems after I unmounted them from dom0
I haven't seen the problem again.

Steve Timm

The reason I ask is that I had a domU filesystem get corrupted, and I
don't know how it happened.
It was not all that important in that it was easy to recreate, being
just my stock CentOS 5 template + bind.
But, just the same, I'd like to know how it happened!  Interestingly,
Xen never had a problem creating the domU.  However, my attempts to
mount it (after shutting down the domU) failed because mount couldn't
find a valid ext3 filesystem.  Eventually I found a valid superblock,
but virtually all the files ended up in lost+found.

Steven Timm wrote:
Darren--can you temporarily stop the xen guest and mount
its root FS from dom0? if so, then just zero out the root passwd
and shadow entry from there, unmount the client rootfs, being
sure to fsck it afterwards, then start up the client again.

Steve