Re: [Xen-users] improve graphics perf on HVM guest

  • To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:42:44 +0000
  • Cc: nooroon <nooroon@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:41:02 -0800

Mark Williamson wrote:
I'm new to xen, and I use Fed 8 as the host and a Windows as guest, on a
intel VT PC, with embedded graphic controller.
I'd like to improve graphical perfomances on my windows VM.

What is the best way to do so?

If your Windows supports remote desktops (home Windows generally doesn't but the more expensive versions do) then you may find that you can get better graphics performance by connecting to it over the network using rdesktop.

You can also do rootless / seamless Windows virtualisation using remote desktop (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeamlessVirtualization, http://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp/).

Improving the performance of the actual framebuffer device in Xen would require some performance optimisations which I'm not well placed to explain. If you actually want to hack on the code, then you could try asking for hints on the xen-devel list.
They also all support installing VNC. Most network based KVM's and hardware provided management tools are actually VNC. You do need to be careful about password management and security with it.