Re: [Xen-users] Re: IOMMU capable hardware

  • To: David Stone <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:23:17 +0000
  • Cc: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joop Boonen <joop_boonen@xxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:21:04 -0800

David Stone wrote:
Hi, I have been doing some significant experimentation with Intel's
IOMMU (VT-d) so I can answer your questions.

 * Yes, real IOMMUs (at least Intel's VT-d) are available on the
market today, both as loose motherboards and in OEM systems.  For
details see /docs/misc/vtd.txt in the Xen source.  To repeat what is
in that file:
  1) For VT-d enabling work on Xen, we have been using development
  systems using following Intel motherboards:
      - DQ35MP
      - DQ35JO
  2) As far as we know, following OEM systems also has vt-d enabled.
  Feel free to add others as they become available.
     c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz
    - HP Compaq:  DC7800
HP DL380-G5's are available, as are Dell 2950's. I've used both successfully, just make sure to get the right CPU's. I've worked direcly only with Intel, not AMD with this kind of virtualization.

Note that nieither of them enable this by *default*, you have to configure it in the BIOS. This means that BIOS upgrades or 3 failed reboots in a row will revert the system to VT disabled, and you'll need console access to re-enable it, until and unless you have something like a LinuxBIOS installed.