Re: [Xen-users] Re: MythTV and Xen

Bastiaan wrote:
> lists wrote:
>

>> Hello All,
>>
>> Is anyone successfully running MythTV in either a Dom0 or DomU?  I have
>> mythtv running with 4 PCI Hauppauge Nova-T DVB cards in a C2D system
>> with a G33 chipset mobo under OpenSUSE 10.3.  Everything works perfectly
>> under the x86-64 kernel, as soon as I reboot into the Xen kernel I get
>> picture tearing and eventually mythtv will crash, usually with a glibc
>> malloc error.  The best way I can describe the picture tearing is that
>> it's almost like the TV signal has become very weak, there are lots of
>> mpeg artifacts on the screen like squares of static image and blocks of
>> strange coloured pixels.
>>
>> I'm open to suggestions of other distros to try.  Fedora Core 8 springs
>> to mind as a possibility since it was only recently released so should
>> have a very up-to-date version of Xen included.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Steve.
>>

> I got mythtv working in xen, both te backend and frontend run in domU's,
> sharing the dom0 with some other (distcc) domU's.
> I haven't had any trouble with is.
> Distro is gentoo, on amd64.
> If you have any specific questions, you can always mail me off-list (I do
> not check the lists too often)

Hi Bas,

Thanks for replying. It would be useful to keep this discussion on the
list so that other people can benefit if they have a similar problem and
search the list.

Could you let me know what kernel version and xen version you are using.
Also, what hardware are you using for your backend? I am especially
interested in the motherboard, CPU and TV cards that you're using.

Ultimately, I would like to be able to pass the DVB cards to the DomU
and run the backend in a DomU. This would make upgrading easier since I
could take a copy of the current myth backend, upgrade it and if
something doesn't work I could simply boot up the original DomU. :-)

Regards,

Steve.