Re: [Xen-users] installing xen domU. plz help

shashank rachamalla wrote:
i recently installed fedora core 6 and even the xen kernel which shipped with it. i could successfully start xen dom0 but i have problems installing domUs.

First of all, why on earth would you want to use FC6? FC8 is available.
I prefer RHEL/CentOS 5.1 though. Other than its long lifetime, RHEL 5's virt-manager creates domU config as a file on /etc/xen, so (for me) it's easier to manage
1) I downloaded fedora.fc6.20070313.img.tar.bz2_FILES.gz from jailtime.org <http://jailtime.org>

In that case contact jailtime.org people.

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen"
I would prefer to use pygrub and have domU kernel located on domU, which is what you get by default if you use virt-manager.

Starting sshd: [  OK  ]
*
the boot hangs here. tried a lot to figure this out but nothing works.

*
You probably need to edit /etc/inittab and get mingetty to start on xvc0 or ttyS0. This is a somewhat advanced configuration, so (given your questions) I would recommend that you start with Centos 5.1 and virt-manager.

2) I tried to install fc6 domU using virtual manger.

i created a disk image of size 3GB.

used apache to mount my dvd to /var/www/html/fc6

*and started virtual manager. everything went fine and the GUI console started the fc6 installation from dvd. After some time i get the error cannot find the file
/images/minstg2.img

*
I am using an adsl modem for connecting to internet and so i access net through the interface ppp0. the following is my ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:15:EF:20 inet addr:192.168.1.2 <http://192.168.1.2> Bcast:192.168.1.255 <http://192.168.1.255> Mask:255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>

virbr0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet addr: 192.168.122.1 <http://192.168.122.1> Bcast:192.168.122.255 <http://192.168.122.255> Mask:255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>

the following is the output of *brctl show

virbr0          8000.000000000000       no
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff              no                    peth0
vif0.0 *
This shows that your domU is bridged to eth0. It MIGHT work, if you have DHCP on eth0's network or you configure domU's ip address correctly. I recommend you choose "Virtual Network" instead of "Shared physical devices" when creating domU through virt-manager, which would bridge domU's interface to virbr0 and NAT-ed to outside world.

is the problem because of having a ppp connection or something else. plz help.
No, it shouldn't matter in this case.

Regards,

Fajar