Re: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows

On Saturday 02 February 2008 09:18:25 pm Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> This seems to be the same as my problem, Inaccessible Boot Device. Can you
> try without installing the "xenhide" driver, and then trying an xm
> block-attach on your domain? The driver loads the new disk but can't access
> with a 0 mb size etc.

I tried uninstalling xenhide. Boy, did that mess up my vm. Windows had to
reinstall almost every device in the guest, and now I have to revalidate
w/Microsoft. Probably analogous to ripping out the backplane of your computer
and putting in another. I rebooted w/o /gplpv and got my system working
again. Then i tried rebooting w/ /gplpv, and it hung at the Windows logo for
a long time. I went to bed, and when I got up, my logs indicated it took
about 1/2 hour to boot. Interesting thing is power saving had been enabled,
and my screen was blank. I've never seen that before, and had always wanted
it.

After verifying the condition of my system, I tried a crude benchmark copying
a large file to dom0, and I got a BSOD w/different numbers as below. I never
got to do a block-attach, and now I'm just going to try James' 0.6.5 release,
including xenhide.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003,0x805310DD,0x8054FFA8,0x00000000)

> As long as the xenhide driver works and the xenvbd driver handles the disk
> access, you won't see any difference. In order to confirm, your disk device
> under device manager, looking at it by view type "by connection", you shall
> see that the disk is under the xenvbd SCSI controller device.  If it's still
> under IDE controller Intel, then you'll see no speed difference.

With and w/o /gplpv, my Qemu disks were still present under the 'Intel ... IDE
Controller'. I didn't look closely at the the Xen driver to see if there was
an actual block device attached.