Re: [Xen-users] vanilla kernel and xen (in general), vanilla 2.6.24 and xen

>       I'm trying to boot 2.6.24 as a paravirt guest.  I'm using all
> the config selections you describe.  I've done all this, from the day
> "Xen" support landed up until 2.6.24 release.  I've never gotten it to
> boot, not once.  These days (2.6.24), I get it starting, but it can
> never mount /dev/root.  I tried the 0x20201/xvda1 trick, but that
> doesn't help either.  I've often wondered - which file should I be
> using from my build?  arch/x86/boot/bzImage?  ./vmlinux?

Use the vmlinux.  By the way, if you strip it and maybe gzip it, it comes down
to a much less unwieldy size.

That ought to at least be loadable by the domain builder, which is a start.
Then we could see where it crashes next :-)  Have you managed to get it this
far?  If so, what happened?

> I really would
> appreciate any help - I'm currently stuck with HVM when it comes to
> mainline kernel, and that's slow.

:-(

You might be able to get the unmodified_drivers stuff to work so that you get
PV drivers under HVM.  I'm not sure if that supports 2.6.24 kernels yet
though...  That'd improve performance a bit once it does work.

Cheers,
Mark