Re: [Xen-users] Exporting a PCI Device

Javier Guerra wrote:
On 2/18/08, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
this is exactly what I was thinking. More hardware and better
performance. I just wanted to know if there is, as you said, a tricky
solution for this which would avoid to purchase new hardware. Of course,
any other suggestion is welcome.

note that assigning real hardware to a DomU prevents it from being
migrated.  IOW, PCI passtrhough ties the DomU to the hardware.

Moreover, passing through pci devices means that you are trusting that guest just like dom0 since the guest now can do DMA which somewhat crumbles the memory isolation assured by the hypervisor if you are not using Intel VT-d for passing through devices to guests.

--Sadique

(is there any brave soul trying to emulate PCI-hotplug to make that doable?)