Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?

Ndex Server wrote:

What you're suggesting is running nested hypervisors, there's NO performance advantage, no security advantage, no virutalization advantage.

He didn't say there was. Read his post again; what he actually said, and what you quoted, was:

It
works on VMware, but for various reasons I prefer to use Xen on my
Dom0. (I like open source, and the base OS for the commercial reasons
is much, much more recent, and I suspect the Xen Dom0 performance for
managing backup systems is superior.)

You said:

What you are trying to do is completely illogical -- the VMware
hypervisor and the Xen hypervisor cannot *both* own ring0.

What Nico said was:

Hmm. Does a Xen DomU look to the unsespecting local environment like
a ring 0 kernel, especially in full virtualization rather than
para-virtualization? It would be contorted, but would allow me to
keep my Dom0 as a Xen host, at a serious but potentially acceptable
performance loss.

That seems like a good question to me. If you can't virtualise something that thinks it's running in ring 0, then it seems to me that you're not virtualising at all.

-Evan