[Xen-users] Re: Most stable Xen distro?

On Mon Apr 7 2008 at 13:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "Steve Lamb" <grey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     I don't know if there is a consensus but so far my experience with
> Debian's implementation of Xen has been less than stellar.  I am having
> a severe problem getting it running on Etch on my router/server.  So
> much so that it is doing things I don't think Xen is supposed to do!
> Meanwhile I tested it on my laptop, also Debian Etch, and it worked
> first time.
>
>     As much as I loathe not recommending Debian or its children I think
> CentOS is the most stable right now.  Seems like the boys in red are
> really doing their hardest to make Xen a true part of the base set with
> very robust integration and support.

I have been running xen 3.1 on Debian etch now since September 4 with no
issues.  This is with 32 and 64 bit dom0s on different machines, and
with a mixture of 32 and 64 bit domUs (pv), including 32 bit domU on
64 bit dom0, as well as 32 bit hvm on 64 bit dom0.  I have run a mixture
of Debian sarge (with a few updated packages), Debian etch, Debian lenny,
Debian sid, Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 7, and a couple of others which I've
forgotten, none of which has had any issues.

The xen packages I compiled myself using patches which appeared in
August with the string '0sdrik2' in them, and the kernels for dom0s
and for PV domUs are all 2.6.18 kernels that were patched with patches
from Xensource.  If anyone is interested, the binaries (as .debs), sources
including all patches, are available from

    ftp://ftp.man.ac.uk/pub/linux/distributions/local/tmp/xen/new/

For what it's worth, my experience has been that, if you want reall
solid Xen systems, you need to begin from Xensource, not from your
distributions.  This of course means that you may have problems related
to hardware support.  For me, the use of 32 under 64 has been pretty
essential, so that excludes a lot of options.

     -- Owen
all patches, are