Re: [Xen-users] Looking for easy guide for Fedora 8 xen networking

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 14:42 -0400, Jason Solan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 15:57 +0100, John Haxby wrote:
> > There are two bridges, IIRC, virtbr0 for a local network (which is what
> > you're using) and eth0.  Previously the you would have had something
> > like virbr0 and xenbr0 where xenbr0 has dom0's eth0 and peth0 on it; in
> > Fedora8 eth0 is the bridge instead.  You probably want to use that
> > instead of virbr0.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I still can't seem to make it work.
> I've switched my guests to use eth2 instead of virbr0, but now they
> can't seem to get any connectivity.  I assumed this is what you were
> saying to do correct?.  With a guest booted, here is what brctl shows.
>
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> eth2            8000.00022d8b1e44       no              peth2
>                                                         tap0
>                                                         vif2.0
> virbr0          8000.000000000000       yes
>
> That looks pretty much the same as the other systems I've used, but it
> still doesn't seem to work.

Ok after a couple more tests it turns out this is because I'm using a
wireless nic.  If I use eth0 (hardwire) then the eth0 bridge works as I
would expect.
I don't quite understand why this is, perhaps someone can explain it to
me?  If eth2 is bridged to a physical device, then as long as that
physical device is up and working, I don't see why a guest should not be
able to use it.  Am I missing something?
The wireless network is pretty much static for me.  I could understand
that switching to a new access point mid-stream may cause problems, but
I would think that just getting it up and running should work.

Anyone have any insight?