Re: [Xen-users] Solaris domU dies at boot

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:06:16AM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 05:08:32PM -0500, Michael Jinks wrote:
>
> > The domU is trying to boot an ISO of the 2008/05 release of OpenSolaris.
> > I've copied i86xpv/kernel/amd64 kernel and /boot/x86.microroot from the
> > OpenSolaris ISO into the locations listed in my config file, and the
> > "extra" line is copied verbatim from the source linked above.
>
> OpenSolaris is different from the versions you tried before. In
> particular the extra line. See:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/mrj/

Thanks.  I've read MRJ's blog at various points along my journey...

> Though you say you've been trying for weeks, so if both OpenSolaris and
> SXCE are crashing,

What's SXCE?

> it must be some other problem.

Oh yeah... :)

I've had several different problems at various stages.  For example,
using Nevada build 87 and Xen 3.2.0, I was able to get the install CD to
boot and install the system, but it would kernel panic when booting into
the installed OS.  Looking for the cause, I found some indication that
my trouble might be fixed by an upgrade, but since moving to Xen 3.2.1
and OS2008/05, I can't get the install CD to boot.

> add " -kd" to the
> options and it should drop you into the kernel debugger.

Okay, my Solaris kernel command line mojo is pretty weak... I changed my
"extra" line to read:

  extra = '/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -kd'

Was that right, or should I have left the "-B
console=ttya,livemode=text" parts in place?  At any rate, when I try to
boot with that I do get into the debugger.  Typing "::stack" returns:

  kmdb_enter+0xb()
  mlsetup+0x35c(fffffffffbc6ee28)
  _locore_start+0x7b()

Does that tell you anything?

> Also which builds of SXCE did you try?

I've only tried Nevada build 87 previous to this.

BTW, I've just logged into the IRC channel and I see you're there too,
would be happy to take this over there if it's easier.

Thanks much,
-m