Re: [Xen-users] DomU slower with smp?

Nick Anderson wrote:
really suited well for benchmarking SMP systems. I was thinking running distributed.net with one thread/cpu. I might run some unixbench tests just to see what kind of results I get.

Disclaimer: The best way to actually test a system is to test it under your workload. Checkout Xen and the Art of Repeted Research www.clarkson.edu/class/cs644/xen/files/repeatedxen-usenix04.pdf and Quantifying the Performance Isolation Properties of Virtualization Systems http://www.usenix.org/events/expcs07/papers/6-matthews.pdf But its kinda fun to see how different workloads are handled given different domU resources.

So I did grab unixbench 4.1 and run a few tests. I only ran the shell tests because as far as I can tell it was the only one that had any sort of concurrency.

Im kind of supprised that dom0 did so poorly compared to increasing the vcpu count inside domU. After each test I rebooted domU with the next vcpu configuration.

dom0: debian etch, xen 3.0.3 from etch repository
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     6.0      249.6      416.0
                                                                 =========
     FINAL SCORE                                                     416.0

domU

vcpu = 1, mem = 2048
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     6.0      273.3      455.5
                                                                 =========
     FINAL SCORE                                                     455.5

vcpu = 2, mem = 2048
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     6.0      491.6      819.3
                                                                 =========
     FINAL SCORE                                                     819.3

vcpu = 4, mem = 2048
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     6.0      657.5     1095.8
                                                                 =========
     FINAL SCORE                                                    1095.8

vcpu = 8, mem = 2048
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     6.0      667.6     1112.7
                                                                 =========
     FINAL SCORE                                                    1112.7

One small modification to Unixbench:
pgms/tst.sh
changed
        od sort.$$ | sort -n -1 > od.$$
        od sort.$$ | sort -n -k 1 > od.$$
since -1 is depricated
I also had to manually specify the system type as Linux in Run

--
Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.cmdln.org