Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.1 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

On Sunday May 25 2008 10:26:56 am I wrote:
> On Sunday May 25 2008 02:53:41 am James Harper wrote:
> > Xenvbd installs xenhide as a filter for all scsi and ide drivers. Xennet
> > installs xenhide as a filter for all network devices. So in theory (I
> > haven't tested it) if you have never installed xenvbd or xennet, nothing
> > will be hidden.
>
> But I have installed them - so I'm asking will uninstalling  work, and do I
> need to uninstall xenstub as well? I'd rather not do a virgin XP install
> for disk space and time limit reasons.

Well, I went ahead and "bit the bullet", and uninstalled xennet, xenvbd (2x),
and xenstub (2x) after having rebooted w/o /gplpv. Then I rebooted w/ /gplpv.
Unfortunately, I forgot to erase the same c:
\windows\system32\drivers\xen*.sys files, and windows just reinstalled xenvbd
automatically (but only asked for the others). The keyboard was still
unfunctional with only xenhide, xenpci, and xenvbd installed. Each time I
booted w/ /gplpv, and went to reboot, I got the previously reported BSOD:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
[...]
*** STOP: 0x0000009F (0x00000500,0x00000002,0x82592730,0x825C7E50)

(no driver name mentioned)

I then rebooted w/o /gplpv, and erased everything but xenpci and xenhide, then
rebooted w/ /gplpv, and got the non-specific BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8AB5524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

so it doesn't look like I'll be able to test your request.

One other bit of oddness. While I was uninstalling the drivers and rebooting,
Event Viewer complained about a boot-start driver that failed to load:
XenEnum!, even tho' Device Manager correctly reported that all installed
drivers were 0.9.1, and the others were correctly reported as uninstalled. I
assume the Registry is keeping a history of previous drivers, and tried to
look for old ones (such as from the list of drivers presented in the Hardware
Wizard when you select Have A Disk).

Now, with all the drivers installed back, Event Viewer only complains about
the parallel port driver and isapnp not loading. And the 'hidden' device
VgaSave also has a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. (All when
booted w/ /gplpv.)