Re: [Xen-users] UUID info and VIF info

Wednesday 04 of June 2008 03:14:32 Luke S Crawford napisał(a):
> Erin Hughes <eredicatorx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > A mistake in sys admining on my part has caused a major malfunction.
> >
> > I created a domain called max01 and some where along the line I
> > noticed that I deleted the host configuration file in /etc/xen/
> > YES a backup of /etc would be nice right now but, I do not have one.
> >
> > vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:5d:04:1c,bridge=xenbr0,type=ioemu" ]
> >

> > It does not seem so difficult but where would I get the UUID info and
> > VIF info?
>
> First, if the box is still up, you can
>
> xm list -l domainname
>
> that will give you the old values.
>

> You can leave out the UUID completely.
>
> You can also leave out the  mac='...' value from the vif and it will
> generate a mac address for you (every time you reboot, so you might want to
> pick a non-conflicting mac address)

Hi,

I have ubuntu in one of my domUs. It's crucial to specify MAC when defining
vifs. If the MAC is autoregenerated, ubuntu udev scripts recognize the vif as
a different NIC and the NIC is named eth1. After subsequent reboots it is
renamed to eth2, eth3, ... This way your vif does not use IP settings, you've
defined for eth0, and your domU get inaccessible from the network.

Similar things happen if your domU looks for vif's IP settings in DHCP.

So, if you have ubuntu, look into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules on
it. If its down, you can safely mount its root partition (remember to
unmount).

Kind regards,

--
Bartosz Lis @ Institute of Comp. Science, Technical University of Lodz, Poland