Re: [Xen-users] SMP enabled Dom0 or not?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:59:52 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:00:32 -0700

Venefax wrote:
Dear Mark
The million dollar question: how? Where is the documentation that can help
me do that? I mean, tie-up one core Dom0 and simultaneously remove that core
from the other DumUs

There is no way to do it simultaneously that I know of.
Here's what I did.
- make sure you disabled hyperthreading (if using Intel) from BIOS.
 hyperthread is not an actual independent core
- in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp : (dom0-cpus 1)
 this will limit domain0 to use only one cpu
- in /etc/rc.local : xm vcpu-pin 0 0 0
this will make sure dom0's cpu is on physical cpu 0 (feel free to change it to whatever you want). I think "xm vcpu-pin" is broken on RHEL 5.2's Xen though, so if you use RHEL 5.2 you might want to upgrade manually to xen 3.2.
- in every domU's config file : cpus = "^0"
 this will prevent domU from using cpu 0.
- reboot the server
If you can't reboot the server, you have to rearrange dom0 and domU's cpu manually using "xm vcpu-set" and "xm vcpu-pin"

Regards,

Fajar