Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

On Thursday June 19 2008 10:03:27 am Paul Schulze wrote:
> The vfb.ko module has nothing to do with Xen as far as I know. That
> is only a dummy module, used for development and testing. What you
> need is the Xen framebuffer, you can check which Xen components are
> in your DomU's kernel by simply using: "grep 'XEN' /boot/config-$
> (uname -r)". You'll want to look for XEN_FRAMEBUFFER in this
> particular case (I think that was it).

This would be true for, say, 2.6.21. For a pvops kernel such as 2.6.25, the
config setting is XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND (for the domu), which typically is
builtin, not a module (as is also XEN_FRAMEBUFFER). Also note that in Xorg
7.3, with xorg-x11-drv-fbdev installed, and 'fbdev' as your video device in
your xorg.conf, it is actually /usr/bin/Xorg that opens the /dev/fb0 device,
which can be confirmed with 'lsof|grep /dev/fb'.

> For your Hardy DomU, the only thing I can tell you is that this has
> nothing to do with Xorg, since it isn't even installed.

At one point, Ray did an 'apt-get -y install xorg', but that may have just
been experimentation.

I'm glad that you and Ray are putting your heads together on this. I was very
impressed how you researched that Xorg bug in your thread 'PV DomU VNC screen
black and Xorg error'.