Re: [Xen-users] Vanishing memory? Whats going on?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:43:24PM -0700, bleomycin wrote:
> Thank you very much for the reply. I must not fully understand the point of
> hvm. Other than being used to run windows, I thought hvm was required to
> take full advantage of intel/amd's VT technology built into the newer
> processors? Or is that handled automatically regardless of hvm?

I think you have been fooled by marketing.

The VT technology doesn't make virtualization better in general; it's
however required in order to virtualize Windows and any other OS that
cannot work in PVM.

But at any point, PVM is much better than HVM; and VT doesn't give you
any advantage if the guest runs in PVM. In other words, the fastest way
to run a guest is PVM mode, and VT support means nothing in that case.

That is, if I understand the situation correctly. Corrections welcome!

regards,
iustin