Re: [Xen-users] Vanishing memory? Whats going on?

John Haxby-3 wrote:

> What you're looking at with "free -m" is, I would imagine, the memory
> available to dom0 and that would make sense as the hypervisor takes a
> slice and then each domU takes 0.5GB leaving you with just shy of 3GB.
>
> If you can't create a third domU then its because the balloon driver in
> dom0 can't reclaim enough memory to start the new domain: generally
> speaking the balloon driver will "acquire" memory from the cache.
>
> You could try setting dom0_mem=1024M (for example) on the kernel command
> line in grub  (there's a kernel line and a couple of module lines
> normally).   That will leave you with just short of 3GB for guests.
>
> Oh, and if you have the choice then go for pv guests rather than hvm
> because having a kernel that knows its in a virtual environment is
> generally an advantage.
>
> jch

Thank you very much for the reply. I must not fully understand the point of
hvm. Other than being used to run windows, I thought hvm was required to
take full advantage of intel/amd's VT technology built into the newer
processors? Or is that handled automatically regardless of hvm?