Re: [Xen-users] Vanishing memory? Whats going on?

On Sunday 06 July 2008, bleomycin wrote:

<snip>

> Thank you very much for the reply. I must not fully understand the point of
> hvm. Other than being used to run windows, I thought hvm was required to
> take full advantage of intel/amd's VT technology built into the newer
> processors? Or is that handled automatically regardless of hvm?

HVM is used only for running unmodified guest OSes.  That might be Windows, or
you might have a requirement to run a specific Linux (or FreeBSD or other)
guest that doesn't have a Xen-aware kernel (it might be a very old Linux that
you need to support, for instance).

PV gives the highest levels of performance to a Xen guest, where available.
There's not a way of using HVM hardware to accelerate PV guests at the moment
but PV is still generally as-good-as or better performing than HVM.

Cheers,
Mark