Re: [Xen-users] "XENBUS: Device with no driver" errors on Debian

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Ben Firshman wrote:
> I understand these kernel versions use paravirt_ops or something. Does
> this mean there is no PCI passthrough support? Can these kernels even
> run with a 2.6.18 dom0? I have tried upgrading to 2.6.25-2 with no luck.

You don't need a matching domU and dom0 kernel, so the kernel should work.

The paravirt_ops kernel doesn't supported PCI passthrough currently; it only
supports unprivileged domU functionality.  If it's a paravirt_ops kernel
you're using then you can't pass a PCI device to it.

You really need a dom0-capable kernel to successfully control a PCI device.
Is there any reason not to just use the same kernel as dom0?  Is it a driver
support issue?

> Can someone fill me in? I can't find any documentation about it
> anywhere. The debian package descriptions even fail to mention which
> kernels will and won't work as a dom0 - it's a matter of trial and
> error for new users it seems!

That's a bit unfortunate.  You basically need something that is capable of
being a dom0 in order to accept a PCI passthrough.  If the domU's kernel is
paravirt_ops then it doesn't meet this requirement.

Does the description given by apt-cache show <pkgname> mention anything about
whether something is paravirt_ops or not?

Cheers,
Mark