Re: [Xen-users] Unable to hot-add disk to Win2K3 HVM withGPLPV drivers

On 21/07/2008 01:53, James Harper wrote:

This is a bit of a long shot, but Windows tends to remember the driver
it had attached to various devices, so if you had device #832 running
with 0.9.11-pre5 and that device wasn't present when you upgraded to
-pre9, windows might still use the old driver.

strange, under "driver details ..." it knew it was using the xen*.sys files, but it didn't show any driver provider/date/version info, so a driver update did the trick.

Once you block-attach the device, can you right click and see what
version of the driver it has loaded? Even if it says -pre9, please try
upgrading the driver anyway.

That disk was eventually added via the domU config, I'll try another with block-attach later, as it did seem to work better in pre5.

p.s.

I tried to uninstall of the "wrong" disk in device manager and got this event, should the driver either support removal, or deny the request in a different way?

log #271 from PlugPlayManager

Driver is preventing the device from stopping. The name of the device driver is listed as the vetoing service name below.

 Vetoed device: XEN\VBD\4&32FE5319&1&832
 Vetoing device: Xen\vbd\4&32fe5319&1&832
 Vetoing service name: Driver\XenVbd
 Veto type 6: PNP_VetoDevice

When Windows attempts to install, upgrade, remove, or reconfigure a device, it queries the driver responsible for that device to confirm that the operation can be performed. If any of these drivers denies permission (query-removal veto), then the computer must be restarted in order to complete the operation.

 User Action
 Restart your computer.

p.p.s

I notice I get a "safely remove hardware" icon on the taksbar for the Xen Net driver, barely a niggle, but perhaps it shouldn't do that.